I tend to get a good energy burst at this time of the year,and since I don't have a lot to do on the work front, I've decided to focus all of my energy on the house and property and of course, cooking! I LOVE to cook!
This past weekend while Mike and Louie mowed, clipped, weed whacked and basically addressed the outside chores, I decided to treat them to a nice end-of-summer dinner of country fried chicken, homemade mac and cheese, green beans simmered with ham and onion,s and watermelon!
Mmmmmmmmm, it was sooo good.
Here's my not so secret recipe, feel free to improvise, you really can't screw this up!
Michele's Scrumptious Fried Chicken
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Misc. Spices to taste
- 1 cup butter milk
- Cut up chicken
- canola oil
- Rub chicken with salt, pepper, a little bit of garlic, and any other spices you want to throw in.
- Soak the chicken in a large bowl with the butter milk.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add chicken to flour mixture, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- Dip into buttermilk, then return to flour mixture and coat again. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat about 2 in. of oil in a large skillet. Fry chicken until golden brown on all sides. Reduce heat to medium and cook until a meat thermometer reads 180°, about 20 minutes.
Keep finished pieces in a warm oven until time to serve.
*Note* If chicken pieces are large, you will want to use a knife and check to make sure the centers are done, you can fry the chicken for 20 minutes and then place in a 350 degree oven and bake an additional 20 minutes to ensure they are done. They will retain the crispiness.
This chicken is a great picnic item too. Fry some up, pack it in a basket with some potato salad, biscuits, and a nice apple pie, and find a nice lake enjoy a meal with family!!