On this official last day of summer, I decided to finish the season of with a delectable Blueberry Buckle Cake that can be eaten as an after BBQ dessert OR a morning coffee cake. Either way, it starts the day out or ends a summer backyard feast with the same delicious taste.
I used fresh blueberries in mine as I like how they retain some of the consistency during baking, but frozen berries can be used as well.
Blueberry Buckle Cake
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8x8 inch pan.
- Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening, and egg.
- In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into greased 8x8 inch pan.
- To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes.
Enjoy it warm with a nice cup of coffee or a nice cold glass of milk! Mmmmmmmmmmmm